Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Turning a corner?

Well, it's been a trying few days here but maybe, just maybe we're turning a corner......

Last night I went out and sat with dad for a couple of hours and I have to be honest, it broke my heart. Never in my life before have I wanted to trade places so badly, wishing I could somehow, someway give him some of the energy and strength that I have so he could feel normal just for a while. He still has a lot of things going on all at once: fighting the methatrexate side effects, a bacterial infection, mouth sores, and other miscellaneous issues that come from fighting cancer. But not once in the entire time I was there did he complain or wish for different circumstances. Despite his extreme fatigue and exhaustion, dad has kept all of this in perspective. In his own words, what he is going through "beats the alternative." It's not false bravado, he's way too exhausted to put up a front. But it's his positive mindset and despite the blows he's been given, he's pressing on. I cried 74 of the 75 miles I drove home last night thinking how brave he's being and how he keeps fighting.

Today, we got what we hope is the beginning of a new "up"cycle. First, his white blood count (WBC) was up to .5. Yesterday it was at zero. This means that his body once again is starting to produce white blood cells, which is exactly what we need to see. His hemoglobin count was up a bit too. Platelets were looking good. He's also starting to show more of his sense of humor and has even teased mom off and on today, which is a great sign in and of itself. He seemed to have more energy today and the doctors have told us that once he stabilizes further he'll be able to come home. He'll start his third round of chemo once he's had a chance to bounce back a bit further. We've still got a long, long way to go, but today was the first hint of a bright spot in a long time.

I'll close by asking what I always ask: please keep mom and dad in your prayers and thank you to all the loyal followers of this post for your support and encouragement. You all are making a difference to us and we are truly blessed.

Peace,

Ron2

No comments: